general backup question/tar

Hi!

At the moment I´m cycling through a few tapes doing backups every
week or so with
  tar cvz --exclude /proc --exclude /dev --exclude /tmp / >/dev/st0

Are there any precautions I should take that I have forgotten/not yet
heard about? I can do a recover to someplace (eg /tmp/recover) and get
the files I need but is this considered good practice or am I missing
something?

Also, is there a possibility to find out (rather than trying through
tar tv(Iz)) if a tape is tar.gz, tar.bz2 or plain tar?

Thanks for any advice,
&rw
--
/ Robert Waldner <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> | Phone: +43 1 89933 0 Fax x533 \
\        KPNQwest/AT tech staff        | Diefenbachg. 35   A-1150 Wien /