samba / smbmount problems

I have a mixed windows/linux network, and am looking to do file sharing
over my LAN.  Samba seems pretty good, except that mounted smb shares
(in linux) sometimes lose connectivity.  It really liked to do it when
xmms crashed as I tried to add a directory to my playlist that was
inside an smb share.  If I tried to get a directory listing or change to
the smb moutned directory, it would say input/output error.  Has anyone
seen this sort of problem before? I'd like to use samba, as I dont think
that nfs is really very well supported in windows.  Ideas? :)

Thanks,
Mathew Johnston