Re: I hosed my network (fixed)

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 12:40:50AM +0200, Danny Pansters wrote:

Thanks,  I managed to get things up and going again by just bumping
the IP numbers of loki and thor up by one and the "redo from start"
techinique. Note to self, never do networks after 11:00 P.M........

> (I also don't like the double lo appearance in the other machines routing)

Again, thanks,  I found the entry and deleted it.

> I'm missing an important piece of info: was your ppp0 interface up when
<snip>

PPP/IP MASQ is working fine now that loki and thor are talking via
ethernet.

> Does your /etc/host.conf have
>
> order bind,hosts

Yes, and no bind running here.

[snip]

> nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf

Yup, the ISP nameservers are in /etc/resolv.conf on both systems.

> Don't change the /etc/init.d/networking script too easily, instead use
> /etc/network/interfaces and the like, and restart the daemon everytime by

Yes, I think this is where things went awry. I restored the networking script
from a backup and used /etc/network/interfaces.

> (I rather not use reload). If you'll do ipchains rules for your local net,
> /etc/init.d/networking might be a good place for that.

> The networking HOWTO will likely be needed.

..... and a pot of coffee helped also, I also stuck my hand on the
porch and applied a hammer for getting myself in this mess.

 --
Cliff