Re: access to /var/log/messages

Have you considered uncommenting the "log to ttyv" line in syslog.conf,
then you don't need to play around with perms?  If you MUST elevate user
privs, try "sudo" first rather than making your user GID 0--you can gain
all the functionality you need, but don't open yourself to another
compromisable "800 pound gorilla account".

--
There is an old saying that if a million monkeys typed on a million
keyboards for a million years, eventually all the works of Shakespeare