486DX Install

I have an old AST 486DX (23Meg RAM/170MegHD) that I have been using as a router for a few months. I installed 2.2 back when it was frozen, or maybe even a month or so before. I had no problems with it, until I compiled a new kernel for it, and for some reason the map file was screwed up, so I decided the quickest thing to do was reinstall. But now I can't get the eepro module to recognize the IntelEtherExpress NIC. Previously it worked fine. I tried some old 2.1 base floppies, and it worked fine, so it can't be the hardware itself. I pass no arguments to the driver, never have.

One problem I can see is that just after I boot and read in the RAMdisk it flashes a dozen lines with :

/lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.depmodprobe   no such directory or file

There is nothing in /var/log/messages. And I have rewritten the floppies, and used new ones, and I downloaded images from ftp.debian.org and tried them too (I had used ftp.ca.debian.org on the first try).

What does that missing file do?

After booting and just starting dbootstrap, should there be anything else in /lib/modules/2.2.17? (on the RAM disk, not in /target/..... )

The funny thing is the 3com509 NIC works fine under 2.1 and 2.2. Its just that 2.2 wont see the Intel Nic, but 2.1 sees it fine.

I checked the compac and ide-pci boot disks, but I don't think they would be very useful on this box, but maybe I could try them anyway.

Thanks

Gregg