XF86Setup - it's hiding somewhere.....

Just graduated to Debian Potato from Mandrake - it's a challenge!
Now I'm having fun with X....... It works but the resolution is
dire.

I want to run XF86Setup to sort it out.    So as root I type in
the command and I get a vertically striped box on the screen,
then a blank box, then..... it just stops at that point. When I
get rid of the eyesore with
Ctrl Alt Backspace
I get a nice blue bar telling me that the application is running
in another console - but I can't find it!

Can anyone shed light on this  or point me to the right docs?

If it helps I have a SiS 6306 video card "on-board" (yes, I
know...)

Thanks in anticipation

Glyn M
       * "The soul is greater than the hum of its parts. "  *
       *                 Douglas Hoftstatder                *