continuing upgrade after losing connection

hi, I'm in the process of upgrading from slink to potato. I'm at the step
where i'm doing apt-get --feixbroken --show-upgraded dist-upgrade. My isp
is set up such that I only have a connection for up to 8 hours at a time. I
ran the apt command overnight last night and got a lot of packages but it
wasn't long enought to get everything. Is there way to indicate to apt-get
which packages I now have in /var/cache/apt/archives so that it doesn't try
to re-download them and starts with the files it doesn't already have?
(please keep in mind that if any of the answer to this is in the man pages
for apt-get, sources.list, or apt.conf that for whatever reason, I've never
gotten those pages in my current installation and I can't find what package
might have included them that I might e missing. That's one thing I'm
really hoping will change with this upgrade, it's very frustrating not to
be able to read parts of the FM for myself)

here's a thought.... if I did a dpkg --get-selections > filename and went
in and editted it so that everything I already have is set to 'hold' and
then did a dpkg --set selections < filename would that non-dangerously do
what I want to do, or does it have the potential to seriously F anything
up?

-Alice (come on potato... big upgrades... no whammies... no whammies...)

This message sent using EMUmail -- http://www.emumail.com

Jumping through hoops to get E-mail on the road?
You've got two choices: Join the circus, or use MollyMail.

Molly Mail -- http://www.mollymail.com