Re: /etc/passwd & user IRC

-> On 01-Sep-2000 Matus \"fantomas\" Uhlar wrote:
-> > Hello,
-> >
-> > I was searching for UID of irc user (some time ago I've seen such user
-> > exists); now I can't find it. adding of irc package runs adduser
-> > --system which is nice but I don't prefer that method (some UIDs were
-> > already allocated for some users sometie ago, why not to use them?).
-> >
-> > dpkg -S /etc/passwd tells /etc/passwd belongs to no package (very nice...)
-> >
-> > Now, please don't advise just get one free number; if you can respond
-> > - why doesn't /etc/passwd belong to any package ?
->
-> it is generated, not provided.  the package in question is a mix of
-> base-files and base-passwd.

hmm will it be fixed or isn't it treated as a bug ?

-> > - why was user 'irc' removed ?
-> > - is it safe to create user with uid 39 that was used for irc some time ago?
->
-> in general it is a bad idea to add system level users, Debian may need
-> uid 39 to be something else.

iirc, in older debian versions there was user irc with UID 39, do you whink
that UID can be re-used later ?

--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, sysadmin at NEXTRA, Slovakia; IRCNET admin of *.sk
 uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/ ; http://www.nextra.sk/