Re: howto recreate /dev/null ?

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 03:09:05PM -0500, Will Trillich wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 09:09:21PM +0200, Sven Burgener wrote:
> > Not to be mean or anything, but FYI fetchmail can be made
> > silent with "-s":
> >   -s, --silent      work silently
> >
> > But then again, you probably already knew that. :)

> you're half right. i suspected, but hadn't explored the
> docs to find out. is there a performance penalty comparing
> these two
> 	some_verbose_command > /dev/null
> versus
> 	some_verbose_command --silent_running

I *guess* --silent-running would be better in that respect as it doesn't
print anything that needs to be redirected anywhere -> less "traffic".
But hey, correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

> good eye. i thought about that one just after i hit the
> SEND button. (i guess i need a shorter send button.)

:)

Sven
--
"We will run this with the same kind of openness we have run Windows,"
                 Steve Ballmer on their .net service