Re: RealTek NIC card problem

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a machine running 2.0.36 kernel and a RealTek 8139B card installed.
> When I sit at the consol, everything is fine, however, if I connect to the
> machine via, say ssh, and run netscape, the network card stops responding
> and on the consol I see the message:
>
> eth0: Transmit timeout, status 0d 2000
>
> # ifconfig eth0 down
> and then
> # /etc/init.d/network
> fixes the problem. This situation is repeatable. So, could someone tell me
> what is happening and if there is a way to fix it?

The revision of the rtl8139 driver you're using sucks

You need to upgrade your kernel, specifcially to the latest 2.2
(2.2.17pre20 has been said to be the most solid 2.2 kernel to date) and
parts of your distribution (it looks like you're running slink, you really
should be running potato or expect things to not work once you go with
2.2).

Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien