Re: howto recreate /dev/null ?

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 08:58:43PM -0700, Jeremiah Hunter Savage wrote:
> Okay,
>
> This is definitely a newbie question. I keep on reading about sending
> things to /dev/null. So I thought I would give a try:
>
> mv file /dev/null
>
> Yes I was root.
> So how do I recreate /dev/null?

Make a file and put lots of nothing into it ;-P

Note:  occasionally /dev/null fills up.  You have to open up your case
find the bit bucket, and empty it out over a *large* trash can.

You can sometimes empty your bit bucket to the network by uncapping the
end of an ethernet cable and typing:

   cat /dev/null > /dev/eth0

Note:  Modem users can use this technique, but throughput is much lower.

Some engineers say that zeros ('0') take up less space than ones ('1')
because they're a smaller value.  Others argue that ones are clearly
thinner.  In a borderline case, you may try writing raw (hex) 0 or 1
values to /dev/null to clear some temporary space.  ASCII 0 or 1 won't
work because they're both mixed values:  /060 and /061, respectively, or
00001100 and 10001100.

Shamelessly adapted from (http://chris.slab.org/jokes/bitbucket.html)