Re: finding tarbal on fat partition [yet another data recovery problem]

- - --------
David Wroght,

> Quoting hawk (hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu):

The original partition table was:

Primary1  Primary2  Primary3  Extended
EXT2      FAT0      UFS       FAT1 FAT2 Spare

That is, there was plenty of unused space in the extended partition.
However, FreeBSD can't handle these, so I needed a primary partition
large enough to take the tarball.  All of my primaries were taken, so
I deleted the extended partition, knowing that I could recreate it later.

The new table became
Primary1  Primary2  Primary3  Empty         Primary 4
EXT2      FAT0      UFS       (FAT1 FAT 2)  FAT 4

> Are we to assume that you deleted the extended partition because
> you already had three primary partitions before it in the table?

Yes.

In hindsight, it would have made more sense to delete 2 and use that
entry where I created FAT4, or to have untarred in linux while FAT4 was
still a primary, but it had been a very long day fighting with the
machine, and I wasn't thinking that clearly any more.

> What, FAT1 FAT2 and FAT4. Are we to guess that you've tried to put
> all three in the new extended partition?

Yes.  I'd learned in the past when DR-DOS shifted my partition table
(1-2-3 become 2-3-4, 4 gets lost.  I've seen this about 3 times from
DR-DOS fdisk on at least two different machines) that you can recreate
the extended partion and recover your logicals.  It didn't occur to me
that I couldn't make the primary a logical . . .

> I take it the two former *logical* partitions survived, and that the
> singular partition with the backup did not. And that you redeleted
> the extended partition before you tried to recreate FAT4 as a
> primary partition.

Yes.  I deleted FAT4, then gave the area from FAT1, FAT2, and FAT4 to
the extended, and recreated all three on their former cylinder
boundaries.

> I think you have trampled on the start of your FAT4 partition if
> and when you tried to make it a logical partition. Each and every
> logical partition has an extended partition table at its start, so
> you should have left a gap before FAT4 when you first created it.

this makes sense, and is consistent with the error messages.