repartitioning hard disk

Hello,

I want to install linux on my PC at home. Now, I run Win98 2nd Ed. on a
FAT32 filesystem.
I only have one big partion (i.e. the C drive). I want to create more
partitions in a "safe" manner and
I am not sure how to do this.

I also don't want to buy Partition Magic so I was thinking of using the
fips tool (anybody tried this?).
I have some small questions.

1) First I should defragment the C-drive (under Win98) to get everything
in the beginning of the disk.
I have read something about files that can not be removed. How do I find
out that I do not have such files
at the end of the disk and what can I do about it?

2) I plan to cut the drive in 2 parts with fips. The filesystem on the
second partition is also FAT32 or will
it be FAT16? Can I simply use fdisk (from linux) to change this fs to
ext2 and then create more linux partitions
from this drive?

3) Now my drive letters are
   C: hard disk
   D: CD-ROM
   E: zip-drive
 If I reboot and Win98 starts (I hope) what will happen with these drive
letters? (P.S.: I have not changed
the 2nd partition to ext2)

Greetings,

Stefan.

*                 SIEMENS ATEA NV                      *
*  ICN D NC A:                                         *
*    Ir. Stefan Goeman                                 *
*    Tel: +32 14 253020                                *
*    e-mail: Stefan.Goeman@siemens.atea.be             *
*  P.S.: Linux is great!!                              *