Re: RW access to /dev/dsp /dev/audio /dev/mixer ?

%% Preben Randhol <randhol@pvv.org> writes:

  pr> How does a user get access to /dev/dsp /dev/audio /dev/mixer ?
  pr> The default setup is :
  pr> crw-rw----    1 root     audio ...

  pr> should one do chmod o+rw or is there a better way?

Add yourself (and any other users you want to have access) to the
"audio" group.  Note that anyone in the "audio" group has rw access to
these devices.  This goes for other device access as well.

You can either edit /etc/groups directly, or use the "usermod -G" command
to change the groups a user belongs to.  Note that if you use usermod
you must list all the groups you want; this sets the list, it doesn't
add to it.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development