Re: filtering out ads

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 05:37:51PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > If we don't look at the ads the advertisers won't pay anyone to put them
> > there and the sites will all go away.
>
> It will no doubt come as a shock to you to learn that there are Web sites
> that do not depend on banner ads for survival (www.debian.org, for
> example).  In fact, I cannot think of a single banner-ad-dependent site
> that I would really miss.

google also has no banner ads.  (either that or they are so tasteful
that i am not instantly annoyed by them like other sites)

> If your advertisers want me to look at their ads all they need to do is
> come up with content that interests me.  So far none have.

and present them in a reasonable fashion, the current trend of
obnoxious, loud blinking, strobing animated ads is unnacceptable, it
makes the page unusable/unreadable.  (the privacy degradation attempts
are also unacceptable)

ask almost anyone who is or are planning to block ads why they are
doing it and i bet you a quarter the above is the reason.

maybe ad companies should take a hint?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/