Re: easy numlock question

Mark Simos said:
> well, leaving it in the rc2.d directory as per the initial suggestion, it ain't running
> at boot time . i am a little new to *nix, so bear with me :)
>
> the file is as follows:
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root    root         82 Aug 29 18:27 s20setleds
>
> i did notice that the rest of the entries in the dir are links (symbolic i guess)
>
> the script runs and works when i "sh s20setleds" but it don't run at bootup.

>From man setleds:

        setleds reports and changes the led flag settings of the
        current VT (namely NumLock, CapsLock and ScrollLock).

I suspect that either the notion of a "current VT" is meaningless at boot
time or (possibly) it refers to tty1 (since that's where boot messages
appear).  In any case, it's a tty-specific setting.  The example at the end
of the setleds man page loops over ttys 1-8.

Maybe adding the -D ("Change both the VT flags and their default settings...
This might be useful for people who always want to have numlock set.") option
would help?  Again, take a look at the example at the end of the man page.

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+