Re: ppp install failing (loopback?)

Quoting hawk (hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu):

> Unfortunately, pppconfig doesn't seem to like me.  After changing an
> irq, it now finds my modem.  It takes all the information from me that
> it thinks it should need, and then tells me that it failed to make a
> connection.  Judging by a brief flash on the screen (why are error
> messages *still* going to the screen where they're not visible or
> recordable after all these years?), it may be using the provider script
> rather than the psu script I told it to use.  I've tried editing
> provider, but with the same results.
>
> Checking /var/log/syslog, it appears that the message is that the tty
> is looping back to itself.  (horrible idea that just hit me: does this
> mean that this old modem for which I have no documetnation is set to
> half-duplex?? it's a gateway from a 486 with a set of 8 dip switches .
> . .)

Is that *all* the log says? Does the modem dial? Is there a response
from the other end?

Until your modem makes a connection, it will normally be reflecting
back to you everything you send to it. Here's a fragment:

Oct  7 23:00:49 home chat[1879]: send (ATZ^M)         <-------sent
Oct  7 23:00:49 home chat[1879]: expect (OK)
Oct  7 23:00:49 home chat[1879]: ATZ^M^M              <---received
Oct  7 23:00:49 home chat[1879]: OK -- got it
Oct  7 23:00:49 home chat[1879]: send (ATDT655555^M)  <-------sent
Oct  7 23:00:49 home chat[1879]: expect (ogin:)
Oct  7 23:00:49 home chat[1879]: ^M
Oct  7 23:01:28 home chat[1879]: ATDT655555^M^M       <---received

ppp expects that reflection to stop happening once you connect.

You might try posting the log (sanitised like the above).