smbfs in Potato

Hi

I have a Debian box running Samba, and with smbfs support in the
kernel.  It is connected to a home LAN with a Windows for Workgroups
3.11 (with the TCP/IP upgrade installed as the only protocol) box on the
same network.  I recently installed Potato on the Samba machine, which
had previously been Slink.

With both the Slink and Potato implementations of Samba, connections
FROM the WfW box TO the shares+printer on the Debian box work fine.

However, under Slink, I was able to mount the shares on the WfW box
using the "mount -t smbfs" which worked fine, but under Potato, I get an
error message

linuxpc:~# mount -t smbfs -o guest //compaq-466/D /mnt
 smbfs: protocols older than NT1 are not suppported
mount.smbfs: ioctl failed, res=-1
Could not umount /mnt: Device or resource busy

If I then do "ls /mnt", I get:

linuxpc:~# ls /mnt
smb_retry: no connection process
ls: /mnt: Input/output error

I then have to "umount /mnt" to clear the problem.

Has support for Windows for Workgroups been removed from:

i)  The 2.2.17pre6 kernel I am using with Potato?  I was using 2.0.38
    with Slink.

ii) The smbmount-*, smbclient, etc. client programs shipped with Potato?

The documentation for smbfs in
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.17/Documentation/filesystems still mentions
Windows for Workgroups, as does the help screen for "smbfs" in "make
menuconfig".

With smbclient for Potato I can list the shares on the WfW box with
"smbclient -L //compaq-466 -N", can connect using the ftp like
interface, but cannot use the "ls" or "dir" commands, although I can
"cd" to directories, and "get" files whose path and filenames I already
know.

linuxpc:~# smbclient //compaq-466/D -N
added interface ip=192.168.17.214 bcast=192.168.17.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
smb: \> ls
Error: Looping in FIND_NEXT??
ERRSRV - ERRerror (Non-specific error code.) listing \*

                36422 blocks of size 8192. 20722 blocks available
smb: \> cd zips
smb: \zips\> get mulinux-.tgz
getting file mulinux-.tgz of size 1795188 as mulinux-.tgz (223.128
kb/s) (average 223.128 kb/s)
smb: \zips\>

Can anyone suggest a way of getting back my Windows shares?  Other than
upgrading to Win 9x (not a chance) or downgrading back to Slink?

Regards

S Hales