Re: Slow X on a MII 300

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 03:01:26PM +0000, Peter Good wrote:
> Heya's, I've got a machine here with a Cyrix MII 300 processor, SiS
> 6326 video card, 6.4GB IDE drive, 64mb of ram and Debian 2.2. The
> thing runs as slow as hell on X, with any window manager. Should there
> be something i have to look for in XF86Config? I've attached a copy if
> anyone wants to have a look, quite frankly it has me beat. I used
> xf86config to generate this file btw, and I've never had this trouble
> on any other machine of mine, even my p200 with 32mb ram runs faster
> than this thing does. Thanks in advance.

Define "slow".  What specifically is slow?  Window creation?  Menu
response?  Window movement?  Program launch?  Specific applications?

What's a typical application load?  What window managers have you tried?
What's response like running twm with a couple of xterms?

What's your available memory?  64 MB is a bit light for a modern Linux
workstation, window manager, desktop environment, and buggy bloatware
such as Netscape or StarOffice.

How much swap do you have available?

What resolution and color depth are you running at?  (The output of your
X session might be helpful here).

> Peter.
> # File generated by xf86config.

<...>

> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "SiS 6326"
>     VendorName  "Unknown"
>     BoardName   "Unknown"
>     #VideoRam    8192
      ^^^^^^^^^
You might want to uncomment this and/or insert an appropriate value.

>     Option "no_accel" # Use this if acceleration is causing problems
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This may be slowing your card response.  I've no particular experience
with this card.  Refer to docs or check comp.os.linux.hardware or
c.o.l.x

<...>

> # The accelerated servers (S3, Mach32, Mach8, 8514, P9000, AGX, W32, Mach64)
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Driver      "accel"
>     Device      "SiS 6326"
>     Monitor     "My Monitor"
>     DefaultColorDepth 16
>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       8
>         Modes       "640x480"
>         ViewPort    0 0
>     EndSubsection
>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       16
>         Modes       "1024x768"
>         ViewPort    0 0
>     EndSubsection
>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       24
>         Modes       "640x480"
>         ViewPort    0 0
>     EndSubsection
>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       32
>         Modes       "640x480"
>         ViewPort    0 0
>     EndSubsection
> EndSection

Are you running at 640x480 or 1024x768, or some other resolution?