Re: max n of groups per user?

Addressed to: Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net>
              debian-user@lists.debian.org

** Reply to note from Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> Thu, 24 Aug 2000 23:09:22 -0800

Hi Ethan!

> sigh, `don't want to learn'...

;-)

> anyway it sounds to me what you need is ACLs, which are not supported in GNU/Linux but there is
> patches available, maybe you should look into that. (note i don't know how stable the ACL project
> is, but from what i have been reading lately it sounds like its making good progress)

Yes, the problem is integration into samba/netatalk... I don't know much about this so far. I'll
ask if there is or will be acl-support in netatalk.

> you might be able to do what you need via samba

Samba is quite easy (admin users = @admingroup) giving root privileges to users, and if it's
restricted to samba-dirs, not too dangerous (admins even don't have a shell).

> but i don't know what to tell you about netatalk, a quick glance does not reveal much
> configurabiity of permission translation in afpd.

That was my last try, changed netatalk to allow root logins, set all admin uids to 0, but
netatalk doesn't use the unix permission system giving uid0 root access to all files...
It treats root like an ordinary user named root, group root.

> and of course a samba solution won't work in the normal unix shell but it sounds like your users
> don't touch that anyway.

I hope so!

Thank you, CU, Lars.