Phantom default gateway

Hi gang,

I have a machine, running Potato, which has a permanent internet
connection through the modem, but also has a couple of ethernet cards,
one of which has about 20+ IP addresses.

I using the /etc/network/interfaces file to set up all my interfaces on
boot, which it a great Potatoism and usually works very well. However
recently I got into trouble when my box rebooted remotely.

All the interfaces were set up properly, but somehow it assigned itself
a default gateway (to my first ethernet card). according to
interfaces(5), you need to set the `gateway' keyword to create a default
gateway. I don't have `gateway' anywhere in that file, yet it still set
it. As a result, pppd couldn't set itself to the default gateway, so all
my packets have been going to bit heaven ever since it rebooted.

I managed to get in and delete the gateway, and then HUP pppd, which
redialed, and set the default gateway itself. Unfortunately, next time
it reboots, the same thing will probably happen.

So, why did it set the default gateway when I didn't ask it to, and how
can I stop it doing it in the future?

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony

- Running Debian GNU/Linux: Doing my bit for World Domination (tm) -