Serving Zope pages from a secure port

I am using Zope on a Debian 2.2 i386 system to serve dynamic web pages
for an organization.  It works marvelously - another big win for free
software.

However, some of my users are behind firewalls and cannot connect to
the http server for Zope which, by default, runs on port 9673.  Their
firewalls appear to be configured to refuse connections to any port
numbered greater than 1024.

I tried modifying /etc/init.d/zope with
ZOPEOPTS="-w 694"
so it would be running on a port numbered less than 1024 but zope then
fails on startup.  I suspect that it has already switched the
effective user to www-data by the time it tries to bind the port.

I am also running apache on port 80 on this machine.  From the
documentation in /usr/share/doc/zope it appears that I could
circumvent the port number problem by accessing zope from a webserver
through pcgi or fastcgi.  It appears that pcgi is simpler but involves
more overhead because it forks a short-lived process for every
connection.

Is that a reasonable summary of the available options?  Can anyone
suggest other ways around the problem?  Is there a Debian package for
fastcgi?  (I couldn't find one and I didn't see anything in the apache
configuration that looked promising.)

Please cc: me on any replies.  I'm too far behind on too many e-mail
lists and would likely miss a reply to the list only.
--
Douglas Bates                            bates@stat.wisc.edu
Statistics Department                    608/262-2598