Re: I am now totally confused about modules

Christophe Broult <cbroult@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > By any chance, do you still have a file named /etc/modutils/alsa?  If
> > > you have removed the alsa package, did you purge all configuration
> > > files, i.e. use '_' (purge) in dselect instead of '-' (remove)? If you
> > > use remove instead of can still purge this package.
> >
> > /etc/modutils/alsa was removed with the Alsa package.
> >
> > Barry Samuels
>
> What is the content of your /etc/modules.conf file? Are there any
> reference to the missing module in it?

This is virtually the total content of my /etc/modules.conf except for some comments at the
start:

### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/aliases
#alias block-major-7 loop

# Uncomment the network protocols you don't want loaded:
# alias net-pf-1 off		# Unix
# alias net-pf-2 off		# IPv4
alias net-pf-3 off		# Raw sockets
alias net-pf-4 off		# IPX
alias net-pf-5 off		# DDP / appletalk
alias net-pf-6 off		# Amateur Radio NET/ROM
alias net-pf-10 off		# IPv6
alias net-pf-11 off		# ROSE / Amateur Radio X.25 PLP
alias net-pf-19 off		# Acorn Econet

alias sound-slot-0      off     # ???
alias sound-service-0-1 off     # ???

alias net-pf-1		unix       # Unix
alias net-pf-17		af_packet  # Network packet protocol

alias char-major-10-130	softdog
alias char-major-10-175	agpgart
alias char-major-108	ppp_generic
alias /dev/ppp		ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-3	ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14	ppp_synctty
alias ppp-compress-21	bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24	ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26	ppp_deflate

# Crypto modules (see http://www.kerneli.org/)
alias loop-xfer-gen-0 loop_gen
alias loop-xfer-3 loop_fish2
alias loop-xfer-gen-10 loop_gen
alias cipher-2 des
alias cipher-3 fish2
alias cipher-4 blowfish
alias cipher-6 idea
alias cipher-7 serp6f
alias cipher-8 mars6
alias cipher-11 rc62
alias cipher-15 dfc2
alias cipher-16 rijndael
alias cipher-17 rc5

#alias <whatever you don't have that kerneld complains about> off

### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/aliases

### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/emu10k1
#alias sound emu10k1
alias char-major-14 emu10k1
alias block-major-3 emu10k1

### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/emu10k1

### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/lvm
# The Logical Volume Manager uses these block and char numbers
alias block-major-58 lvm
alias char-major-109 lvm

### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/lvm

### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/modconf
options ne io=0x320

### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/modconf

### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/paths
# This file contains a list of paths that modprobe should scan,
# beside the once that are compiled into the modutils tools
# themselves.

# This used to be quite a list, but upstream merged some Debian patches
# so we currently don't need to do anything here

### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/paths

### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/setserial
#
# This is what I wanted to do, but logger is in /usr/bin, which isn't loaded
# when the module is first loaded into the kernel at boot time!
#
#post-install serial /etc/init.d/setserial start | logger -p daemon.info -t "setserial-module
reload"
#pre-remove serial /etc/init.d/setserial stop | logger -p daemon.info -t "setserial-module
uload"
post-install serial /etc/init.d/setserial modload > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
pre-remove serial /etc/init.d/setserial modsave  > /dev/null 2> /dev/null

### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/setserial

### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/arch/i386
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias char-major-10-144 nvram

### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/arch/i386

That's the lot!

Barry Samuels