Newbie IDE tape question

Hi, all.

        I just finished installing Debian 2.2 on a box with a Seagate
Tapestor8000 IDE tape drive and ran into a bit of a problem.  When I
boot up the machine, I get the following messages:

hdb: Seagate STT8000A, ATAPI TAPE drive
[...]
ide-tape: hdb <-> ht0, 600KBps, 14*26kB buffer, 2600kB pipeline, 190ms tDSC

but when I try to access the tape drive I find that there is no
/dev/ht0.  Do I need to create this device by hand?  If so, how do I
do this?

More importantly, where would I find the documentation that would have
explained all of this.  I looked in the Debian guide
(http://www.newriders.com/debian/html/noframes/), the Debian FAQ
(http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/), the FAQ-O-Matic
(http://www.debian.org/fom/1.html), and the Installation manual
(http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install) but I didn't find
this issue addressed.  I also looked on Deja and in _Runnung Linux_
but didn't find much about device setup and configuration.

I am transitioning from RedHat to Debian, and it's clearly going to be
a learning experience.  Please bear with me, since I'm sure that more
novice-level questions will arise. :-)

Dan