Re: You are a Linux Guru!

Previ wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>     Here is a Press clip  about Debian in Aug 2000 edition
> of Chip Magazine here in India.
>
> "Debian is one of the roughest Linux Distributions to install,
> and that's why anyone who has managed to configure and
> install Debian is considered to be a Linux guru"
>
> Previ
Not So! The problems with installation are very overstated and often the
laments of beginners. Alas, we all have to start somewhere!Perhaps it
would be best if they started with the instructions.

I have been a Linux fan since it first became  available. There were no
real applications then, only the base system. I can tell you simply...if
you are not 100% certain what type of hardware you are using...and
exactly what it's specifications and requirements are: you will have
problems. Pretty much the same with using any piece of equipment.
If you think Linux is difficult, try getting Windows 2000 server running
using dedicated DSL network connections.. :-) Even harder: try finding
support for installing it that is equal to the level of support
available for Linux!

There are indeed Linux Guru's... in fact we owe to them the existence of
the myrid GNU applications, Debian, RedHat, Helix, Gnome, KDE, Apache,
Perl...need I continue? My point is this, the term Guru is accepted
worldwide to mean someone who is an inovator, a teacher, the master of a
skill...not simply a person who can "manage" to function properly.

John Foster