Re: Pointing Device

On Wed, 31 Dec 1969, Michael Tanney wrote:
> Whenever I try to start XWindows it stops with the error /dev/mouse does not exsist. How do I find out what the device name for the mouse is and reconfigure it for XWindows ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Tanney
>

> Send your favorite photo with any online greeting!
> http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/americangreetings.rdct
>

> --

Geez, maybe somebody should write a mouse howto or something. (just kidding
isn't that what the XFree86-HOWTO is for?) /dev/mouse is usually just a
symbolic link to the real device which depends on what kind of mouse you have.

Some commons ones are:

/dev/psaux (PS/2)
/dev/ttySXX (serial mouse, you have to know which com port replace XX with 0
for com1, etc.)

So when you know which device to use either stick that in the XF86Config file
or make a symbolic link by doing ln -s /dev/ttySX or /dev/psaux /dev/mouse.

Dan
Daniel E. Baumann
E-mail: baumannd@msoe.edu (preferred)
baumannd@trio.msoe.edu
baumannd@penguinpowered.com (caution: dynamic DNS service, may bounce)

Web location: 	http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd
                http://www.linuxfreak.com/~baumannd

"Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code."

      -- Dave Olson