Re: Exim Error: Sender Domain must Exist

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 07:59:21AM -0400, Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:
> Hi:
>
>    I am using Debian Potato from home and connect by modem to my
>    university network using exim. The connection uses DHCP. My machine
>    is named sebastian. I can collect, using fetchmail, my mail
>    coming to the university post office server, but when I send mail
>    to the university or outside, I get the error message; Sender
>    domain must exist. My machine is interpreted as sebastian@onu.edu
>    which is clearly not recognized as an legitimate machine. I guess
>    it recognizes the IP address given to me by the DHCP server,
>    but how do I configure exim to look after this?

When I first set up exim a long time ago with my isp, I had the same
problem.  The "sender" is your user.  Exim probably sends it as coming from
<username>@sebastian.  The SMTP server of  onu doesn't like that.

Solution: use address rewriting to change <username@sebastian> to the email
address you want people to see.

In my exim.conf, at the bottom under "Address Rewriting":

*@carrera      pat7@gmx.net    Ffsr
|                        |     rewrite it in these fields(From sender reply-to)
anything from my machine |
                         |rewrite it to this

Hope you understand my ascii art :)

--