> /usr/local/share/texmf
> and did the rehash in texconfig.
>
> Now my local files are listed in ls-R
> but TeX don't find them when working on
> a doc containing:  \input [file] .
>
> I'm testing with document sources that
> worked OK in my old slink version.
> Where have I gone wrong?

You have to change texmf.cnf to make tetex use your local files:

61c62
< %   TEXMFLOCAL = @texmf@.local
---
> TEXMFLOCAL = @texmf@/local
68c69
< %   HOMETEXMF = $HOME/texmf
---
> HOMETEXMF = $HOME/texmf
72,76c73,75
< %   TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}
< % The braces are necessary.  If you set VARTEXMF, you also have to
< %   - list $VARTEXMF in the TEXMF definition;
< %   - make sure that $VARTEXMF precedes $TEXMFMAIN in the TEXMF definition.
< TEXMF = !!$TEXMFMAIN
---
> TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}
> % The braces are necessary.
> %TEXMF = !!$TEXMFMAIN
79c78
< SYSTEXMF = $TEXMF