Re: Potato keeps waking up?!

David Vrabel wrote:

> On 22 Aug 2000, Vitux wrote:
>
> > What puzzles me most is: I just can't figure out what keeps spinning
> > the disk?!
> > I can't find any ref's to it in the logs or in cron-whatever...
> > If necessary I could post some of my log-files?!
>
> atime updates I'd guess.  The time that files were last accesses (read) is
> stored in the filesystem. Hence the disk access when these are written.
>
> Consult the mount (?) man page for details on the noatime option.
What I'm trying to understand is: what's writing files, when the
machine is "idle"?! (I am beginning to grasp the fact that Linux is
never really idle; there's always some cron-stuff going on...)

> > BTW: How do you empty logs? Can you just delete'em?
>
> Aren't all the logs rotated by daily/weekly cron jobs?  There are by
> default in Debian.  But yes, you can just delete them.
>
> David Vrabel
Nope, not all the logs. ppp-logs are, but not syslog, f.ex.
Oh well, someone indicated that I had already done a pretty good job
by reducing wake-ups to three times pr hour, so maybe I should leave
it.
Now if I could only get my nic working...
Still Learning after 1½ year!
Thanks
Vitux

--