Re: FTP trought firewall (inverse)

ftp is a horrible protocol to try to firewall because of all the ports
it uses, i suggest using the package 'iptraf' to see what ports are
being used when you connect to it. there are 2 modes of ftp, passive and
active. Switch your ftp client to PASSIVE mode and it should work(i just
tried it) using unix ftp just type 'passive'.  To get active mode
working you will have to forward thousands of ports most likely as i
believe it uses a random port above 1024. You can also try to find a ftp
server that forces the client into passive mode if you have users that
won't know how to use passive. IMO though, ftp is insecure and i
reccomend using SSH w/scp to transfer files(it encrypts both the login
and the data).

FTP RFC:
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/rfc/rfc0959.txt

nate