Re: Exim and multiple domains

</lurk mode>

i'm still hoping to find the king james version of the
exim manual (the original greek is beyond me)...

this flashed by a few days ago, and i thought i'd be able
to apply it to my own situation; alas...

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 12:09:41AM +0930, John Pearson wrote:
> There's more than one way to skin a cat, but here's what I've
> done; it allows you to have an arbitrary number of virtual
> domains with each having its own alias file, which allows
> you to do most things including what you are looking for.
>
> Some of my virtual hosts are in .com.au, and some are in .com; I
> have a file for domains with three parts (e.g., mydomain.com.au)
> at /etc/exim/domains, and a file for domains with two parts at
> /etc/exim/domains2.  Each file contains lines like this:
>
> *.mydomain.com.au     myfile
> *.otherdomain.com.au  otherfile
>
> for each domain.  My setup allows me to match arbitrary
> subdomains (e.g., mail.outgoing.mydomain.com); if you don't want
> to match subdomains you can omit the "*." from each line, and
> use a single file for all domains.  The second field is the name
> of an aliasfile for the domain matched by the first field.

in my /etc/exim/domains file, i've got:
	*dontuthink.com		will

> To forward all mail for a domain to "myuser's" local mailbox,
> the specified file need contain only the line:
>
> * myuser
>
> but it can also use any construct that Exim recognises in alias
> files (pipes, :blackhole:, etc.).

btw--does the second field denote an aliasfile name or a user
name to redirect mail to?

> In exim.conf, I set local_domains like this:
>
> local_domains = localhost:my.net.au:*.my.net.au:\
>                 partial3-lsearch;/etc/exim/clients/domains:\
>                 partial2-lsearch;/etc/exim/clients/domains2
>
> The "partial*-lsearch;" allows me to match arbitrary subdomains
> (e.g., mail.outgoing.mydomain.com.au).  If you don't want to match
> subdomains you can put all virtual domains into one file and use
> just "lsearch;"

my exim.conf contains:
	local_domains = localhost:*serensoft.com:lsearch;/etc/exim/domains
and
	virtual:
	  driver = aliasfile
	  domains = lsearch;/etc/exim/domains
	  no_more
	  file = /etc/exim/domains
	  search_type = lsearch*

mail to the main site (serensoft.com) gets through as it should, but
of course (if your eyes are trained on what to look for i'm sure
it'll be obvious) email to anything@dontuthink.com gets frozen:

	lowest MX record for dontuthink.com points to local host

short version: what am i missing?
long version:  how would a newbie diagnose this kind of thing?