Mozilla configuration questions

I'm reaching the limits of tolerance with Netscape bugginess.  Mozilla,
however, doesn't quite meet my needs yet.  I'd appreciate pointers on
the following:

    - How do I disable animated gifs under Mozilla.  There's a utility
	  called the Gif Animation Toggle (gat) which will remove the
	  "infinite loop" logic from Netscape.  Is there a similar
	  functionality for Mozilla?  gat fails to work on the mozilla-bin
	  binary itself.

	  Ok.  I've found that gat *can* be run against components/libnsgif.so
	  in the Mozilla base directory.  This *does* affect *all* animated
	  gifs, including various progress meters, the 'M'/Mozilla image,
	  and other elements of the Mozilla UI itself.

    - Font scaling.  Many websites use a <font face=foo size=<value>>
	  tag, in which 'value' is some offset or absolute below the default
	  ('3') font size.  In Netscape, it's possible to set the scaling
	  step size to a value lower than the default 20%, allowing the
	  scaling range to be compressed to an 80% - 120% of normal, rather
	  than a 50% - 200% default setting.  I'd simply like to disable the
	  step size, as I find it interferes with reading in virtually all
	  cases.  Is there a resource or configuration setting to do this?

    - Integration with an external mailer and/or newsreader.  In my case
	  mutt and [r]tin, but specifics shouldn't matter.

    - Appropriate forum for posting these comments.

...still waiting for a buildable galeon....