Re: transferrate problems

Florian Petri said:
> Since my update I have a performance problem with data transfers, I don't started myself (eg. daily uucp polls via ip [uucico] or apt gets started from dselect). The transfers only have 500 - 2000 cps. When I type eg. "wget someurl" I get my normal 16000 cps.
>
> Do you have any idea, what I should try to change or which package is wrong configured?

I doubt that anything is misconfigured on your end (except your mail client,
which isn't wrapping lines).  While I can't comment specifically on your UUCP
sertup, Debian's servers are extremely busy right now because potato has just
been declared stable and everyone is trying to download it.

Since you get (what you consider to be) a decent transfer rate with wget, we
know that your networking setup is working properly and can maintain those
rates.  However, your transfer rate will generally be determined by the
slowest part of the path taken by the transferred data - the lower rates
you're seeing with UUCP and apt are the result of network congestion
elsewhere.  Short of getting an additional, independent link to the internet
(or one of your target systems), there's nothing you can do about it.
Depending on where exactly the congestion is, even that might not help (if
ftp.us.debian.org's network connection is saturated, all the links and all
the bandwidth in the world on your end won't have any effect on the rate at
which you can get data from that machine).

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+