Console MPEG video

Hi,
does anybody know how it is possible in Debian (Potato or Woody) to watch
MPEG videos in reasonable quality on Linux console (with SVGAlib and
SVGA-Textmode). I have tried framebuffer already, but the good video
picture is at expense of numerous other problems (e.g. the non-functioning
of zgv which I really need).
All my attempts to compile the SVGAlib patch for ucbmpeg-play either failed,
or the resulting binary did not work (does anybody happens to have a
precompiled working binary???).
The SDL version smpeg-plaympeg works, but only shows this weird black+white
ascii-art on console, which is not really fun to watch ;-)
I tried nearly all options (incl. libggi-target-svgalib etc.), studied lots
of docs, and searched the web already since many weeks now, and I am still
clueless.
Since I hate starting X for anything that could be done on console, I would
very much appreciate any hints.
Cheers,
Guenter

P.S.: My graphics card is a Matrox Mystique 220; my Linux kernel is
2.2.17 (custom); and my Debian version is Woody.
--
Linux: Who needs GATES in a world without fences?