problems upgrading standard kernel to 2.2.17-ide

So with the new release of potato, i've gone and done a clean install onto
a new machine of mine.  The problem at hand (i think) stems from the fact
that this machine has a HighPoint 66 card, so i thought it ideal to
install the special 2.2.17-ide kernel included with potato.  So during the
fresh install, i installed (using dselect) the ide kernel, and the headers
for 2.2.17 and such.  All is well, the machine boots, and the onboard
dma66 is detected.  The problem really arises when i try to compile the
3c90x module for the 3c905b i have installed in the machine.  3com
provided a script which ran the proper gcc line, so that part should be
okay.  I then tried compiling it once, however it quit after not
being able to find any header files.  After reading 3com's instructions on
compilation, it says that if you have upgraded your kernel, to include the
command line option -I/usr/src/linux/include  with the rest of the options
to the gcc command in their script, and so i did.  Second try at
compilation came to no avail yet again.  It *still* couldn't find the
header files.  This time i found it was because /usr/src/linux didn't even
*exist*.  Instead the includes were in /usr/src/2.2.17-ide/include or some
such.  So i created a sym link called /usr/src/linux to point to
/usr/src/2.2.17-ide or whatever it was called (sorry i can't remember
offhand).  Anyway, after that, i compiled again, and finally, it finished.
A simple insmod of the newly compiled module and i was greeted with the
current (and so far unsolvable) problem:  a message which said that this
module could not be loaded since it was compiled for 2.2.17 and not for
2.2.17-ide (my kernel).  Crap, now i don't have a clue.  I mean, i've read
up on it, but i only have a few drastic ideas, that of using removing the
2.2.17-ide package and going back to 2.2.17, or just compiling a new
kernel myself and installing it using the make-kpkg utility installed by
kernel-package.  But that's about all i have for ideas.  I'd like to still
use my dma66 controller, so going back to the vanilla 2.2.17 isn't an
appealing idea.  Compilation is looking better and better, but i'd rather
just fix what i have.  Anyway, what gives?  Does anyone know why i had
these three different errors (having to use /usr/src/linux/include,
finding that it didn't exist, and then, most importantly, find it didn't
even compile for the right kernel?) I guess i easily fixed the first two,
but damn, i have no idea why it didn't compile for the right kernel.  Let
me know if i haven't provided enough information for you all.
Well, anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm looking forward
to using my new debian machine :)  Thanks,

dave