Firewall security and a RAID question

Hello lists,

I have two questions:

1) I plan to install a small home LAN, so all machines can access the
internet via dial up.  The obvious solution is, of course, IP
masquarading.  The server that acts as a router will also serve as a NIS
and NFS server and possibly local mail and DNS server.  Is it save with
IP chains to have all those services running on the same machine or
should the firewall be on a different machine, which is not very
desired, but possible, nonetheless?

2) I have one 1034MB hard disk and one 1030MB harddisk.  I thought that
instead of selling them for 50 DM, I could use RAID to safetify my home
directory.  Is it possible to use RAID on disks that have different
sizes?  Losing the 4MB on the one disk won't matter, I can live with
that  :)  Also which RAID (0, 1, 5?) is the one I want to use?  The
disks are SCSI disks and the controller is an old Adaptec 1542CF.

TIA,
Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld