Re: xdm init level question

%% Lehel Bernadt <blehel@kabelkon.ro> writes:

  lb> If you had looked more carefully, you would have seen that xdm
  lb> isn't started only at runlevel 2, it's started at every runlevel.

Who says I didn't look carefully enough to see that?  I did notice it's
started at all levels above 1.

I want a simple way of booting my system, on occasion, without a
graphical login, and having it invoked in _more_ than one place doesn't
help.

The answer is, there's no way to do this in a standard Debian setup; you
have to modify the default behavior to be able to do it.

  lb> So links are installed in every rc* directories, but you can
  lb> create/delete them at your liking. (This is the Right Way(tm) IMO,
  lb> because it doesn't force a particular runlevel config).

As long as you don't overwrite the user's changes, no initial setup is
forcing any particular runlevel config.

In other words, choosing not to choose is still a choice: Debian sets up
so everything starts at all runlevels 2-5.  That's no more or less "a
particular runlevel config" than the normal UNIX init levels.  It would
be just as simple to change the config from the normal behavior to what
you wanted using update-rc.d (as far as I can see from its man page) as
it is to change the current one.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development