Re: ran out of input data

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 09:11:42PM -0500, Andrew Martin wrote
> Well I broke down last night and went to wal-mart at 3:00am and bought a IDE
> cd rom drive.  So now everything will install but..........The instructions
> in the book that came with the dist. said to make a boot floppy and then
> reboot the system.  I did that.  Now it wants me to type in my root password
> and the key board is dead.  No action what so ever.  In the setup I picked
> the default keyboard settings.  How can I go back and change them?
>
> Andrew

First up it won't echo the characters you type at the password
prompt, so just because you don't see anything happening doesn't
mean it isn't seeing what you type.

Type your password, then hit Return, and repeat as requested.

If even Return doesn't do anything, then it probably isn't a keyboard
configuration problem; the keyboard configuration option affects
what symbols go with which keys (so chooisng the wrong keyboard
will mean you may not type what you think ypu're typing), but it
shouldn't stop it dead; that's more likely to be caused by a
loose keyboard cable, or a faulty keyboard.

If you *do* need to change your keyboard configuration the
"official" command to use is "kbdconfig", but you need to get to
a root prompt to do that.

HTH,

John P.
--