ran out of input data

I am trying, to no avail, to install Debian 2.2 thru Windows.  I haven't been able to get my CD drive to work since it is not a conventional IDE drive.  It attaches to its own sound card.  Anyhow....

1: I have defrag'ed the drive
2: I turned off the virtual memory in win 95
3: I fips to split the partition
4: I rebooted the computer and re-enabled the virtual memory in win95
5: I ran scan disk and everything looked ok
6: I copyed the following files to the desktop
    boot.bat
    linux
    loadlin.exe
    root.bin
       These were all copyed from the install folder on the CD
7: I right clicked on the boot.bat file
8: Went to properties
9: Clicked on the advanced button
10: Checked the ms-dos mode box
11: Exited the properties menu
12: I then double clicked on the MS-DOS shortcut to boot.bat
13: It gave me a warning that this was going to run in dos
14: I clicked ok and below is what I got

uncompressing linux

ran out of input data

system halted

I am installing this on a 66mhz 486DX2 with 16MB of memory.  From what I have read that should be enough to do it.  Should I quit trying to use my current CD drive and just spring for a new IDE drive?  This is so frustrating.

If anyone wants to they can e-mail me direct at
uncleandy1@bartnet.net

Thanks,

Andrew