RE: Older hardware running newer software (was: Re: Installing D

Good luck!

I have a 486-33, as well.  I had 8MB of memory when I first installed linux and
X.  It worked, but not real fast.  An extra 4MB helped, but I would sure like
more.  My system uses 72 pin SIMMS, but it wants PARITY memory.  I can
occaisionally find non-parity memory in 72 pin SIMMS, but not parity memory.
If anyone knows when I can get 1 - 4 16MB 72 pin PARITY SIMMS at a reasonable
price (I'm currently unemployed) it would be greatly appreciated.

> On Aug 13 2000, s. keeling wrote:
>> RAM tends to help more than upgrading to a faster processor would.
>
>       Indeed. Really. The chance to avoid swaps is incredible. The
>       only problem is that not all older boards support that much of
>       RAM (and not all of them support even 72-way memory chips;
>       my 486DX33 only supports RAM chips with 30-connectors -- don't
>       know what these chips are called).
>
>       []s desperately looking for upgrading the 8MB to 16MB, Roger...

Marc Shapiro                             http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_shapiro/
 -- Linux IS user-friendly.  It is just picky about who its friends are.