Re: A possible problem with x-terminal-emulator?

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 08:18:25PM +0300, Shaul Karl wrote:
> A few days ago I reported here that I have a problem with text apps
> (top, mc, pstree and such) that are being launched in X using the menu
> system (that is, with something like apps->System->Top). To be more
> specific, it appeared that the X terminal that these apps are using
> does not read the xterm* resources I have in ~/.Xresources. I also
> claimed that this problem is new.  Can it be that this problem is due
> to the use of x-terminal-emulator? Am I right that the
> x-terminal-emulator thing is rather new?  --

Shouldn't matter,

/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator -> /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
/etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator -> /usr/bin/X11/xterm

Unless it points to something other than /usr/bin/X11/xterm.  Are you
using xsm to manage X sessions?  That's the only place I've noticed
where global Xresources aren't sourced -- and only when used with GDM
where the Xsession option is chosen (rather than GNOME or Debian).
However, $HOME/.Xresources *is* still loaded.

Maybe check ~/.xsession-errors.  Could be a syntax error in your
~/.Xresources.  Also, make sure there is *no* space after:

XTerm*Font: 10x20

I've noticed that spaces following a resource setting are sometimes
grokked as part of the name -- and then it's not found!  One might think
that was a bug with xrdb.  It should trim leading/trailing spaces.

--
MegaHAL quote:
	I think a blowpipe is a marijuana cigarrette.