Re: gnome-terminal

I've noticed the same thing. What works for me is to create a file
.xsession then enter
gnome-session

insert any instrcutions you might have

exec (window manager)

I've opted to stay away from helixcode Gnome for a while, it seems to
create problems for me ( probably through no fault of the program, just
my own lack of savy) and invariably wipes out my desktop icons, etc..

good luck