...hangs at "freeing memory", can't boot....

(help...!)

I'm trying to move (copy) my existing 'potato' system to a new hard
drive in a -different- box.

Working box: Compaq Presario 992 w/ P-120 chip
No-work box: Compaq Presario 4660 with PII-MMX-300 ("PIIX4", kernel
says; also says "not 100% native mode, will poll for irqs later"...?)

With every approach I've tried (and I've tried a bunch this past week),
the best that ever happens is we arrive at the "Freeing kernel memory"
line during boot -- and halt right there, with no notification of error
or anything.

Things I'm suspicious of:

 - when given a boot floppy (made using superformat), machine reads
that floppy haltingly -- reads a few chunks, then pauses, then reads a
few more, etc., taking perhaps a full minute to read what's there,
finally succeeds, but what the heck is that about...?

 - machine is BM-DMA; any problem there...?

 - CMOS says two elements are being "shadowed" in RAM; no option
visible anywhere to turn this off, apparently -- machine expected
to be owned by Windoze, has PNP options in CMOS;

 - machine once had 64 megs RAM but presently has 32; tried RAM 'stick'
in each slot, didn't help or hurt. (Could machine expect to be
'shadowing' somewhere in the missing 32 megs...? Surely not...?)

Thanks kindly,

--

 -- Jeff --   <http://www.wellnow.com>

 "There's nothing left in the world to prove.  All that's worth doing
  is to love one another, using whatever means are available to serve."