Re: mailcap/slrn question

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Christopher Mosley wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Dale Morris wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have a working mailcap file that will display images from
> > newsgroups in slrn? I can get mutt to display images using ee, but I've
> > never been able to get slrn to display an image in a binary newsgroup. I
> > always have to use Netscape News for binaries and slrn for regular text
> > messages. I'd like to have slrn do everything.
> > --
>
> No, not working for your particular need.
>
> I once used .mailcap for displaying images files localy from  a remote tin.
> I could remember how to do it again, but I remember it being very ungainly.
> I replaced that with a c program. Finally I used a script filter. You use
> the write to stdin and filter through key, "|" in tin. Must be something
> similar in slrn. Uudeview is a smart decoder for both mime 7 bit encoding
> (forgot its name right now)  and uuencoded files - very
> useful for viewing those fine arts newsgroups.  The apc  vt320
> escape sequence and kermit are not needed . They would both just
> be a  viewing command for you  - display probably. At one time I used an
> echo and read so you could choose the viewer on the fly, mtvp fo mpegs
> for instance. This was a pain because I got a raw terminal and had to
> change it and change it back. But what you are trying to do should be very
> accomplishable.

I just checked out slrn and it does indeed use "|" for the pipe command.
The below script will work when adjusted for directories, and
with the kermit and apc_echo removed and a display line added.

John Davis anwered the same question with a slang script, you
can it find by searching deja news. Since a scripting language
is imbedded in slrn there seems no reason not to use it for this
It is a stacked based kind of C looking language.

The big problem with trying to use mailcap (metamail) is what do you for
bases64 files and uuencoded files without mime headers.