Re: Mouse stopped working in X

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 11:29:41PM -0500, John Reinke wrote:
> I've converted my Corel distribution to Debian potato. Although I had a few
> problems, most things seem to be fine, except my mouse now longer works in
> X. It doesn't work with any of the X servers, including within XF86Setup.
> It used to work before, and settings from before don't work.
>
> Here's the really strange part (which may be related): When I'm in the
> console, the mouse DOES work! I've never had that before, but I can move it
> around and copy and paste, just like I should when I'm in X.

There are two different mouse servers, one in X and one in gpm
(console). Anyway, you've discovered the "gpm interferes with my mouse in
X problem".  You'll probably want to have gpm "repeat" to /dev/gpmdata
which you can configure X to use.  For instance, my /etc/gpm.conf reads:

device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=10
type=ps2
append="-l \"a-zA-Z0-9_.:~/300-326330-366370-377\" -r 20"

(I'm not sure what all that gibberish is... but luckily there's
gpmconfig which should set it up good for you).  Others may provide more
insite on this...

--
MegaHAL quote:
	I think a blowpipe is a marijuana cigarrette.