Mouse stopped working in X

I've converted my Corel distribution to Debian potato. Although I had a few
problems, most things seem to be fine, except my mouse now longer works in
X. It doesn't work with any of the X servers, including within XF86Setup.
It used to work before, and settings from before don't work.

Here's the really strange part (which may be related): When I'm in the
console, the mouse DOES work! I've never had that before, but I can move it
around and copy and paste, just like I should when I'm in X.

John