RE: Mutt locale settings [Was: Re: /etc/environment]

On 10-Aug-2000 Wouter Hanegraaff wrote:
> Since mutt was the only program that doesn't display these characters
> correctly, I searched the mutt mailing list archives.  I still don't
> understand why unsetting LANG solves my problem, because the correct fix
> is to set LC_CTYPE to an appropriate value.
>
>> I've no idea what the cause of your problem is, AFAIK when LANG is unset,
>> programs should fall back to the default locale, which is 'C'. And on my box
>> 8bit chars are displayed correctly no matter what LANG is set to.
>
> Locale settings are not the same as LANG settings, LC_CTYPE is for
> character classification, and LANG is for displaying programs in
> different languages.

No, LANG is a general variable. The glibc manual says:
"If this environment variable is defined, its value specifies the locale to
use for all purposes except as overridden by the variables above." (i.e. by the
LC_* variables). So if you set LANG and don't set LC_*, they will get the value
of LANG (check this with locale(1)).

> Mutt uses both, so when I set LANG=dutch, I get a
> dutch interface, and when I set LC_CTYPE=dutch, I get special characters
> displayed right (although just setting LANG=dutch with LC_CTYPE unset
> fixes the locale settings too, strange enough).

As I've said above, this is normal.

I've never been able to display extended characters with mutt. (I thought your
problem was with xterm, that's why I said I had no problems). I tried LANG=''
and it works, but I still prefer pine, having no problems with it at all.