How to get xemacs21 to display japanese characters in gnus

Hello,

I'm trying to use gnus to read posts written in japanese. Unfortunately it
refuses to show the posts using japanese characters by default.

I have these settings:

gnus-show-mime t
gnus-strict-mime nil
gnus-show-mime-method 'metamail-buffer

Some conversion is done, because a lot of quoted-printable stuff is not
shown, but a warning is shown saying [*** ISO-2022-JP charset ***].
However if I jump to the article buffer and do M-x metamail-buffer
manually, the article is converted and the japanese characters are shown
correctly.

How do I get gnus to show the correct character set automatically?

Please reply directly to me as well if you have an answer, since this list
has such high traffic.

Regards,

Pontus

--
Pontus Lidman, pontus@lysator.liu.se, Software Engineer
No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up.