Re: update-alternatives -- changing preferences

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 06:28:34AM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> Not quite, I think.
>
> The above will add "emacs" into the list of available alternatives for
> "editor".  By what divers black majik a particular application is chosen
> I'm not sure.
>
> In my current case, I want to specify an editor (vim) and a window
> manager (windowmaker)

<snip...>

> ...what is the "correct" way to have "wmaker" be "Current 'best'
> version"?

The window manager part is easy, since there's a configuration setup
for it:

$ update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

Then select the appropriate default from the registered window-managers.

Aha, there's also one for "editor":

$ update-alternatives --config editor

However, it seems not all window-managers and editors are "installed"
into the alternatives.  I don't have sawfish (mmm, helix-code people!).

I think emacs has it's own "alternative" since there are several
flavors, and it's not really an editor anyway (in the sense of
/usr/bin/editor).

See "update-alternatives --config emacs" for multiple emacs installs.

--
MegaHAL quote:
	I think a blowpipe is a marijuana cigarrette.