Wdm

I  tried to install Wdm.
While in it's setup, it asked me something about a lock, which xdm was
using. Well, I think I give up of installing it, and pressed <CTRL> + C.
Yesterday, when I booted the box, there was a screen with a penguin, and I
could not use the keyboard anymore(just the mouse).
Three questions:
1) Why does stupid newbies keep messing with things that they don't
understand? (Answer: because they're stupid).
2) (no kidding) Is there any way to boot linux step-by-step, just like the
F8 key in DOS? So I would skip the Wdm initialization.
3) If the answer to 2) is no, how could I recover my installation (don't
wanna use rescue.bin).

Thanks

Gaúcho